As a seasoned Project Manager, here are the Top Ten Things that I do that makes me successful.
- Take time to assess the big picture. Why this project? Is now the right time?
- Understand the organization’s culture and tailor what you do to be most effective in it.
- Assess stakeholder expectations/fears AND manage them.
- Define what a successful project outcome looks like in real terms (Not on budget, on schedule). What does the organization want this project to accomplish?
- Determine organizational roadblocks to meeting project success and mitigate them.
- Develop a project strategy. How will you manage the project?
- Ensure the project has effective executive sponsorship.
- Take time to get the right people on your team.
- Establish clear roles and responsibilities.
- Use an appropriate project management methodology.
All the best!
All the time!