I was teaching class last night and we had a very lively discussion about Resource Management. Here was the scenario..
- A Project Manager and a Line Manager meet to discuss getting a team resource for the project.
- The Project Manager doesn’t like the team member that the Line Manager is going to give him.
- The PM and LM get into a disagreement as this engineer has spouted off in front of the customer on past projects, causing a LOT of trouble.
- The upcoming project demands a lot of customer interaction.
- The Line Manager basically says too bad. He agrees to attend the PM’s meetings to ensure the engineer stays in line, but during the first few meetings, the LM is a no show.
- The engineer ends up calling the customer inept in a meeting, and the customer threatens to reevaluate the contract.
What could you have done as the PM to prevent this from happening?