Have you ever wondered why some people seem to walk on water, even when they have cement shoes on. You know who I’m talking about. They can barely walk and talk at the same time, or they walk fast and talk fast without going anywhere or saying anything, yet… they seem to get promoted all the time. Well, if you want to get mad at them or whimper and cry at your misfortune… go ahead. But let me ask you, if they are so dumb, why are they getting promoted ahead of you?
Getting promoted is not hard. Perhaps it’s not easy, but it doesn’t have to be as hard as some of us make it. Getting promoted is simple, at least in theory. You will get promoted if you are viewed as valuable. The question is, how do accomplish that. Here are some ideas you can try.
- Understand your organization. What are the formal requirements for promotion?
- Understand management. What is important to them?
- Understand your boss. Never… Ever… make your boss look bad (integrity issues aside)
- Give your opinion, only when appropriate
- Don’t come up with a problem without a solution
- Don’t always try to prove that you are right, or others always wrong
- Learn to listen first and speak second
- Don’t crowd your boss. Let your boss come to you
- Everyone likes a compliment. Compliment others around you…
- Dress appropriately
- If you have to ask for a raise, you’re working for the wrong company
- Get your work done on time. Work on what is important to your boss first
- Don’t try to “save” the organization. Martyrs are usually dead
- Give others credit, when credit is due
- Continuously learn something new. Find out what the needs are… and become the solution
- Learn to criticize constructively
- Come early, Stay late
- Never Eat Alone at work
- Read – Winning Friends and Influencing People
- Become a people watcher
- Work on your negotiation skills
- Work on your presentation skills
- Work on your people skills
All the best!
- How to Get Promoted (socyberty.com)
- Get Noticed at Promotion Time (jobsearchingblog.com)
- Reason’s Why You Have Not Been Promoted (socyberty.com)
- Adele Scheele: What to Do When You’re Passed Over at Work (huffingtonpost.com)